Ensuring equal access to safe and sufficient drinking water for all Prairie residents
~A first step toward sustainable water use would be to guarantee all humans the water needed to satisfy their basic needs. ~
Fresh water is essential to human life. We cannot live for more than a few days without it. While most Canadians enjoy access to high quality water, typically whenever and in whatever quantities we desire, digging deeper exposes some startling concerns and management gaps when it comes to our drinking water. In a country as wealthy as Canada, illness due to drinking water quality is largely avoidable and is simply inexcusable. We expect government leadership and action on ensuring all residents have equal access to safe and sufficient drinking water.
- Recognize that, in order to satisfy basic human needs, water is a fundamental human right.
- Address critical water quality issues on First Nations reserves, Métis settlements and in small communities.
- Fully implement multi-barrier approaches to safe drinking water.
- Create stringent and enforceable water quality standards.
- Develop and implement source water protection plans.